Tuesday, May 19, 2026

CNBC - Trump says he’s postponing ‘scheduled attack of Iran tomorrow’ at Middle East leaders’ request Published Mon, May 18 20263:09 PM EDTUpdated Mon, May 18 20266:40 PM EDT thumbnail Kevin Breuninger @KevinWilliamB

 Politics

Trump says he’s postponing ‘scheduled attack of Iran 

tomorrow’ at Middle East 

leaders’ request

Share
Key Points
  • President Donald Trump said he is calling off a plan 
  • to attack Iran on Tuesday after the heads of three 
  • regional powers in the Middle East asked him to 
  • “hold off.”
  • Trump said he received requests from Qatari Emir 
  • Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani, Saudi Crown Prince 
  • Mohammed bin Salman and United Arab Emirates 
  • President Mohammed bin Zayed Al Nahyan.
  • Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth and Joint Chiefs 
  • Chairman Gen. Dan Cain should still “be prepared 
  • to go forward with a full, large scale assault of Iran, 
  • on a moment’s notice, in the event that an acceptable
  •  Deal is not reached,” Trump said.
US President Donald Trump gestures as he speaks to reporters after arriving on the South Lawn of the White House in Washington, DC, on May 15, 2026. Trump is returning from Beijing where he met with Chinese President Xi Jinping to discuss trade deals in various sectors. (Photo by Alex WROBLEWSKI / AFP via Getty Images)
US President Donald Trump gestures as he speaks to 
reporters after arriving on the South Lawn of the White 
House in Washington, DC, on May 15, 2026.
Alex Wroblewski | AFP | Getty Images

President Donald Trump said Monday he is calling off a plan to

 attack Iran on Tuesday after the heads of three regional powers in the Middle East asked him to “hold off.”

Trump, in a Truth Social post, said he has informed U.S. milita

ry leaders “that we will NOT be doing the scheduled attack of 

Iran tomorrow” in light of the requests from Qatari Emir Tamim 

bin Hamad Al Thani, Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin 

Salman and United Arab Emirates President Mohammed bin 

Zayed Al Nahyan.

There had been no clear indication prior to Trump’s post that 

the U.S. was preparing to strike Iran on Tuesday, officially 

scrapping its tattered ceasefire with Iran. Trump had told the 

New York Post in an interview earlier Monday that Iran knows 

“what’s going to be happening soon,” though he declined to 

provide details.

Trump was considering resuming active military operations 

after Tehran’s latest response in ongoing negotiations over a 

deal to end the war was deemed insufficient, Axios reported.

At a White House event Monday afternoon, Trump said, “we 

were getting ready to do a very major attack tomorrow.”

“I put it off for a little while, hopefully maybe forever, but possibly for a little while” because “we’ve had very big discussions with Iran, and we’ll see what they amount to,” he said.

Trump said that he had been asked by multiple countries to 

put off the impending attack on Iran “for two or three days, a 

short period of time, because they think that they are getting 

very close to making a deal.”

He added that if Iran is satisfied with a deal in which they do 

not get a nuclear weapon, “we will be probably satisfied also.”

In Monday’s post, Trump claimed that the three regional 

leaders had asked for the planned attack to be postponed 

“in that serious negotiations are now taking place, and that, 

in their opinion, as Great Leaders and Allies, a Deal will be 

made, which will be very acceptable to the United States of 

America, as well as all Countries in the Middle East, and 

beyond.”

“This Deal will include, importantly, NO NUCLEAR WEAPONS

 FOR IRAN!” Trump wrote.

The president said he told Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth 

and Joint Chiefs Chairman Gen. Dan Caine that while Tuesday’s attack is off, they should “be prepared to go forward with a full, large scale assault of Iran, on a moment’s notice, in the event that an acceptable Deal is not reached.”

Hegseth traveled to Kentucky on Monday to attend a political 

event with a Republican House candidate challenging 

incumbent GOP Rep. Thomas Massie, whom Trump wants 

to kick out of Congress.

The U.S. and Iran are locked in a sort of military and economic 

stalemate centered on the Strait of Hormuz, the vital global 

oil-shipping route that has been beset by dueling blockades 

amid the war, preventing most ships from passing through.

The battle to control the strait has deeply frayed an already 

shaky ceasefire, which began nearly six weeks earlier is 

nominally still in effect — though it has repeatedly been 

punctured by fighting, and Trump last week said it’s on 

life support.”

Choose CNBC a

No comments:

Post a Comment